November 27, 2018 by Sean Parry
Here at Neat, many of our clients comment about and ask us about how we make their beds. A large proportion of our cleaning and housekeeping staff have 5-star hotel experience, and we like to give our clients a little slice of this luxury in their own homes.
There are of course many variations, but ours is very similar to the approach in the following video from the Four Seasons Hotel George V in Paris.
In order to give you a quick guide, we assume that most people have the following items:
- Fitted mattress sheet (sometimes elasticated) which wraps around the mattress
- Possibly a top sheet which goes between the mattress sheet and duvet
- Duvet (inside a buttoned duvet sheet)
- Pillows and pillow cases
HERE’S HOW TO DO IT:
1. Lay the mattress sheet over the top of the mattress, tucking in the bottom 2 corners and then the top 2 corners, pulling any creases tight. Use your hands to smoothen over any creases
2. Take your top sheet (and duvet) and spread it evenly over the mattress sheet, make sure it is evenly spread over all sides
3. Fold the top sheet and top of the duvet back approx 10 inches
4. Tuck the bottom 2 corners of the top sheet using the “Hospital Corner” technique (see video), which removes the excess sheet around the mattress.
5. Tuck in the remaining sides of the top sheet (and duvet) under the mattress
6. Fluff up the pillows and place vertically at the head of the bed, beyond where the top sheet (and duvet) have been folded back.
7. Finally, smoothen out any creases in the duvet
TIPS & ADVICE:
- Try to clean your bed sheets and pillow cases weekly, to keep your bedroom smelling fresh
- Duvets and pillows should be cleaned at least every 3-months
- Ironing your sheets will not only make your bed look much neater but will also be much more comfortable to sleep in
- Opt for a high thread count bed sheet and pillow case (400+ ideally) to get a softer material
Finally, check out the following video from Clean My Space for some good further tips and advice:
Of course, we would be happy help with your cleaning and housekeeping jobs! Further information can be found on our website, or feel free to call us if you have any questions.