October 25, 2018 by Sean Parry
Here at Neat, we have come across most food and drink stains. The one we get asked most about is how to clean red wine carpet stains. There are a number of ways to do it, but we think the most effective (and eco-friendly) way is to use baking soda (a natural stain remover) and white vinegar (a natural deodoriser). When mixed together into a paste and applied to a carpet stain, in the vast majority of cases, you’ll see the stain removed very effectively.
We like the following video from US-based Health Home Cleaning that shows you exactly how to do it.
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
– paper towels
– baking soda
– white vinegar
– cold water
– small dish to make up the paste
HERE’S HOW TO DO IT
1. If wine has just been spilt, dab the stain with a paper towel. Carefully dab the area, trying to lift as much of the surface wine as possible, making sure not to rub it. Add water to further dilute it, and re dab with the paper towel.
2. Take a small cup and add half cold water and half white vinegar.
3. Take your small dish and add baking soda, and some of the vinegar water mix until a smooth paste is formed.
4. Add the paste and apply it onto the wine stain, and leave for 15 seconds.
5. Use the paper towels to remove the dried excess paste.
6. Add some more of the vinegar water mix. This will fizz as it reacts with the baking soda, and lifts the red wine stain away.
7. Continue step 6 until all the stain has been removed, and there is no baking soda left (the area will stop fizzing).
8. Dry off the area with a paper towel, and leave for 15 minutes.
9. Finally, vacuum the stained area to ensure that all the dry paste has been removed.
Of course, our cleaners and housekeepers can advise you as necessary, and would be happy to help with any cleaning needs you have. Further information on our services can be found on the Neat website, or alternatively feel free to call us on 02036378307 you have any questions.