December 17, 2018 by Sean Parry
There’s few things better than soaking in a relaxing bath at the end of the day. Seeing a dirty ring of soap scum around the water’s edge, or dirty limescale ridden chrome taps are certainly things that might ruin your time of relaxation! We want to put that to an end, so here at Neat HQ, we’ve put together a quick guide to keeping your bath tub in tip top shape (and using nice eco-friendly cleaning products).
WHAT YOU’LL NEED
Microfibre cloths x2
Drying cloths x2
Box of baking soda
Sponge or scrubbing brush
DIY tile and tub cleaner
– glass and ceramic tiles, mix vinegar and dish soap
– natural stone, use neutral dish soap or speciality cleaner
WHAT TO DO
1. Remove all items on or in the bathtub, including shampoo bottles, scrubbers etc (wipe down before replacing) and place on the floor.
2. Spray tile cleaner around the top edge bath (where water / soap / shampoo may have been in contact), and leave for 5 minutes
3. Remove any hair or loose dirt from the inside of the bathtub and from the plug hole
4. Pour some baking soda down the plug hole, and add white vinegar. This will start to fizz as it breaks down any blockages, and will eliminate any bad smells. Rinse with hot water
5. Now go back and clean the tiles using the sponge (or scrubbing brush if there is hard to remove soap scum)
6. Where the tiles meet the bathtub, use the toothbrush to scrub the grout, adding some baking soda to the toothbrush and scrubbing if there is any black mould or dirt present
7. Rinse the tiles down, and use a squeegee to remove excess water. Finally, wipe down with a dry microfibre cloth
8. Spray your tub cleaner around the inside of the bathtub, and use the sponge to clean it (or scrubber if there is harder to remove soap scum). Then rinse with water.
9. Clean any chrome fittings (tap, plug hole, sink plug) using the white vinegar spray and microfibre cloth, and an old toothbrush to access hard to reach areas.
10. Wipe the chrome dry with a polishing cloth to enhance the shine.
11. Make sure the entire bathtub, chrome fittings and tiles are dry (as any lying water can leave a mark).
12. Finally, wipe down the shampoo bottles, scrubber etc and place neatly back in / around the bathtub.
For tips and advice about how to clean your shower, take a look at our other blog post on How to clean your shower in 10 easy steps. Of course, if you would prefer us to help with your cleaning and housekeeping jobs, we would be happy to assist! Further information can be found on our website, or feel free to call us if you have any questions.